What I learned while my students learned…

I finished my first project-based learning unit, “Who’s Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?” two weeks ago.  Here are some of the skills my students learned during this project:

• Wind is  a force and you can make build in a way to make something wind-resistant.
  • Architects use different roof designs to help with wind resistance.
  • We are better working together. It may be a challenge but it is very beneficial.
  • An estimation is not always accurate.
  • You need to re-evaluate a plan and make it better if you are not getting the results you want.
  • The cost of building a house, even a pretend one, adds up quickly.
  • There are many ways to solve difficult math problems.
  • How to add numbers within a thousand
  • Adding multiples
  • How to add 3 or more two-digit numbers
  • You can manipulate the numbers to get friendly numbers. This makes problems easier to solve.
  • You don’t always have to know how to do something before you try it.
  • How to write a persuasively
  • To be persuasive, you need to show passion behind what you are saying.
  • How to speak clearly and share information
  • A real-estate agent works hard to persuade buyers. They use very descriptive words to help sell a house.
  • Projects are more fun when you are creative and open to new ideas.
  • You may have to rewrite many times before you are happy to call it the final draft.
  • Everyone needs to feel valued in the group or they will live up to that expectation.
  • If the learning is exciting, no one has to convince you to keep working.
  • My idea is not always the best idea. Even if it is, it may not be chosen by my team.
  • We can’t all win. The 3 pigs liked all the houses but only one was the best fit for them.  I can handle that even if I worked hard. I can still be proud of my work.
  • How to write a summary

Ironically, what I learned from my first attempt of pbl is very similar.

I learned:

• My estimation of how much time the project would take was a little off but I could make it work in the end because I saw value in what they were learning.
  • They can do things I have not taught them. Because I gave an open problem, it allowed them to learn things in a meaningful way and it belongs to them and not to me. Isn’t this what I want?
  • Excitement and passion are contagious. Sometimes, I was the one who was super passionate about the parts of the project and it spread to them. Most of the time, it started with them.
  • They didn’t mind rewriting or rebuilding because they had a goal in mind. The driving question gave them a goal that they wanted to reach.  I didn’t have to tell them  that they needed to go back to rewrite their presentation or rebuild their house. They knew it on their own.
  • Just because I haven’t taught a pbl unit before, it did not stop me from trying it.  And I LOVED it.  I didn’t have official training on how to develop a pbl unit nor did I attend a workshop.  I read blog posts, read the book PBL in the Elementary Grades from Buick Institute, talked to others on twitter, attended chats, and finally just stepped out there! I did ask for help from those who have taught them before but you just have to try it!
  • We are better together.  It was nice to have another teacher do the project with me. @LesaHaney’s class joined ours. It was great to have someone walk on the journey together, especially since it was untraveled territory for me.

While this was my first project-based learning unit, it will not be my last. In fact, we are already in another one.  🙂

2 thoughts on “What I learned while my students learned…”

1. Bravo! Thanks so much for sharing your learning & that of your students, in your blog! ~So much for all to gain from your sharing! At the beginning of your PBL, my guess is that your learning goals were not nearly as extensive as the lists of learning experiences above! Your reflection at the “end” of the project is enough to persuade the timid to “jump in” and give it a try! I really appreciate your sharing, and I respect your example as a teacher! I have not done a PBL, YET. 🙂 (Do you need a partner on your next PBL? )
    “A Sister in Second,”
    Melissa Williams @smileloveteach & @loving2ndgrade
    FYI~Website button above didn’t work for me… http://mrsmwilliamssecondgradeblog.blogspot.com/

1. Thanks, Melissa! I want to share my experiences with project-based learning in the primary grades because there is not a lot out there. My goals at the beginning of the unit were working in a group to build a house that could resist wind, estimation and comparing final results, adding within 1,000 and creating a presentation for the 3 pigs. Lesa Haney came up with the idea for the real estate agent which was BRILLIANT and also to have 3 co-workers dress up as the pigs. You would LOVE PBL! You are more than welcome to join my new project, “What’s New at the Zoo?” I am doing it now but a few teachers are doing it in April. Do you study animal groups? It seems most states have that as part of the 2nd grade science curriculum. Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. I would welcome more primary teachers to try PBL with me! We are stronger together!